Monday, November 3, 2008

6:30...AM

...

is the time I went to bed on saturday night, well Sunday morning this week.    
I pulled my first almost all-nighter-working on homework- but I'd like give a shout out to the fall-back daylight savings that gave me one extra, much-needed and appreciated hour of sleep!  

All in all, I have had an amazing week.

We completed our Hermeneutics class.  It was very interesting, a
nd I know we all appreciate the new perspective we have gained on how to read the bible.  Our week project was to, in a group of 7 create a 15 minute presentation on a book of the bible- ours was 1 Peter- using our own creativity and little structure.  We dissected the book, and our initial reaction was to create a flashy video, using a high-tech camera and editing software.  We probably spent about 6-7 hours filming our video, and had planned to stay up as late the night before we were presenting.  We plugged in our camera to the computer, and it didn't work.  We tried about 4 different computers, and neither of them would work.  So we got a new camera, and another one- didn't work.  By this point it was about 1 o'clock, and we had 9 hours to pull something together.  We sat quietly for a few moments and one of my group members suggested we pray.

and so we prayed...

It was clear that God had in mind something much different for our representation of I Peter.  In about 15 minutes of discussion we came up with the idea to stage a coffee shop, with live music and hot chocolate. Our group was humbled by the experience and it was so cool to see how he works in that way.  And we were also blessed by a great nights sleep before it was presented.

Another blessing this week was a surprise visit by some Briercrest boys from Kaleo 5.  They spent the week with us, and great conversations were had, and encourage
ments were given and received.  At the end of the week we were able to hear a bit of their testimonies, as well as how far they'd come since Kaleo.  When asked to sum up in one word of advice something for our Kaleo experience, one of them challenged with the word

STRIVE

Being in this beautiful environment, with wonderful teaching, and a amazing friendships, it is very easy to get comfortable.  That word really resinated with me and I felt like it was something I needed to hear; to be encouraged to be stretched, and to not get used to the amazing community I am in.  Thanks Kevin;

This week at youth group...
 
Our church hosted a safe alternative to halloween; Trunk or Treat.  Cars trunks were decorated, and kids went around a circuit within the church parking lot.  My role was to be security for the night, but freezing outside in my Raggity-Anne, I came inside to get warm, and it was clear that God had something different in mind for me that night.  Sitting on a couch, I was able to talk with, cry with, and pray with one of the girls I've been getting to know over the past couple of months.  Our struggles were brought up, and it was amazing to see how God is using my story to encourage others, and he is using areas of my past for his Glory.  I continue to feel blessed at my church, and a part of the team.  They are looking into getting us a van so that some of can make it to the early Sunday service.  It's been on my heart to lead a small group Sunday mornings with the grade 7/8 girls, so prayer for that would be great.  

the term Fellowship is another thing I have been learning a lot about this week.  I was having a conversation with one of the Kaleo interns, Jordan at the beginning of the week, and after I think I said something about having toast crumbs left in the butter, he brought up that his pet peeve is the misuse of the word.  I think that so often the word fellowship is tossed around about Christians spending time together, but in reality light conversation does not make it fellowship.  But rather being intentional in conversation, and using our time together to bring glory to God.  To say the least, I was challenged to experience authentic fellowship this week.  

In some wonderful conversations I had with many Kaleos, a family from New Life who had us over for lunch, and spending time in Victoria, talking with the homeless today- I was able to experience this fellowship as God intended it to be. 

Some things to pray for this week: that God would bring clarity to the destination of my mission trip next Spring.  That I would continue to be challenged at Kaleo and in my ministry, and mostly just praise to God!
He is so good.

Like I said, I have had amazing week.

MUCH LOVE !
Erin


4 comments:

Daniel said...

ERIN!
reading this post was very encouraging to me, to see how God is working through you at your church is amazing! What a week eh? It is cool to see all the different times that God was totally in control of the situation. wow
Sweet, well good job on the post.
Daniel

Erin's Dad said...

Dear Erin,

I got exhausted just reading your blog this week. I know exactly what you are feeling/experiencing with regard to working all night on 'school work' - I have had a few 'pretty late nights' myself..... This sounds like it has been a really insightful week for you. The 1Peter Coffee Shop sounds great -- hey, we cannot view your slide show picutres - I saw it last week, but I can't access this week.

Hon, we miss you every day, but we are so encouraged by what we know you are experiencing AND we get to see the evidence of your learning in the Blog each week. It is great to see/read what you are up to.

Be sure to get some rest, it sounds like you are busy all the time. Take care and we'll write again soon. We are praying for you.

Love Mom and Dad

Erin's Dad said...

Poopsie,

I meant also to say that the word "Strive" is a great goal..... I posted a note to Jake and he used the word 'yearn' - I feel a huge sense of challenge/inspiration when I read these words and the stories that go with them. Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

We love you,

Dad

Erin's Dad said...

Dear Erin,

I am on my laptop tonight and I see your slide show perfectly.......

Love Dad

xo